Tuesday, September 2, 2008

College Football Week 1

Normally I would try to have a review of each week up by Sunday; however, I wanted to wait for the outcome of last night's UCLA-Tennessee game in the Rose Bowl. In my "JB Sez" column to the right, I predicted that Tennessee would lose 5 games, including the season opener at UCLA. Well, if you watched the game last night, you witnessed my "shot heard around Omaha" as I successfully predicted the 27-24 overtime upset. What a way for the Rick Neuheisel era to begin at UCLA and certainly Phil Fulmer will once again land on the "hot seat" for this performance. Don't look now, but Florida (and myself) roll into Knoxville in 2 weeks and Fullmer has never needed a win over Florida this bad since the 1998 season. As for UCLA, that win did not "end the football monopoly in Los Angeles" but it certainly sent a message to Pete Carroll and Co.

For the last few years, the Big East conference has taken flack for being a terrible conference. Well, that's over now, because the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) is now the worst conference. Check out how the ACC fared this past weekend in some of their big matchups. The ACC has not won a BCS game since 1999 and I do not expect that stat to change this year. Whoever wins that title this year can drop an asterik on it.

Alabama 34 Clemson 10
East Carolina 27 Va Tech 22
South Carolina 34 NC State 0
USC 52 Virginia 7

What in the world is Jim Tressel thinking? Why are you even playing Chris "Beanie" Wells in the 3rd quarter of a 26-0 blowout of Youngstown State? Wells went down in the 3rd quarter of the contest and has been ruled "doubtful" for this weeks contest against Ohio. Even if Wells thinks he can play, he won't, as the Buckeyes need him 100% for any chance to beat USC in 2 weeks in Los Angeles. Did Jim Tressell make the coaching blunder of the year by continuing to play Wells? Stay tuned...

We knew Missouri was going to score points (52) but if they want to be considered a National Championship contendor they are going to have to shore up that defense as they surrendered 42 points to Illinois on Saturday.

Ok, fine, I was wrong about Michigan. They are not going to go 8-4 this year. But, I said Alabama desperately needed a win over Clemson and they got it with their 34-10 throttling of the Tigers. I also said LSU had a 0% chance of losing to Appalachin State. I was right. I may want to re-think Clemson winning the ACC.

As for this next week, I am interested in seeing how Notre Dame looks against San Diego State and I will also blog about Nebraska after their second game against San Jose State.

Who is my Heisman pick after week 1? Well, Mark Sanchez, 338 yards and 3 TD's in USC's 52-7 win against Virginia. USC is off this week but if Sanchez has a great game against Ohio State, his name will move to the top of a lot of people's lists.

No comments: