Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bubble Brutality Thursday

Thursday Afternoon Summary-BUBBLE BRUTALITY!!!

Coming into today, I had 2 Conference USA teams among my “Last Four In”, Memphis and UAB. After today, I am not sure what in the world to think as both Memphis and UAB fell in the quarterfinals of the C-USA tournament. Houston defeated Memphis 66-65 on a last second shot and UAB looked disinterested and unorganized as they were waxed by Southern Mississippi 58-55. I had Memphis ahead of UAB on the bubble line today so if anyone is going to get booted from my field tonight (likely will happen) it will be UAB.

If you have been reading my blog, you know I have been down on Marquette; however, I can no longer be on the hate side of the Golden Eagles. Marquette downed Villanova 80-76 in the quarterfinals of The Big East tournament. With the way the bubble has been exploding at the bottom, there is no doubt in my mind that Marquette is now a cinch for Selection Sunday. Georgetown held off Syracuse 91-84 in a game which featured Syracuse’s Arizne Onuaku leaving the game late with an injury. Despite the loss to Georgetown and potential loss of Onuaku, I still expect Syracuse to land a #1 seed in either the South or West region come Sunday.

Both Texas Tech and Nebraska fell in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 tournament. Since all remaining teams are locks for the tournament, the only thing being played for at that tourney is seeds in the NCAA Tournament and a Big 12 Title Trophy.

California defeated Oregon in the quarterfinals of the Pac-10 Tournament 90-74 in front of an empty arena at the Staples Center (I’m not kidding, it was empty). It would be very surprising to see California get left out of the field at this point, even without a potential top 50 RPI win, which has only happened once (Air Force, 2006) in the history of the NCAA Tournament (from an at-large status perspective).

Back tonight with a recap of the night session games and an updated field of 65.

No comments: