Sunday, May 23, 2010

Remembering Owen Hart: 11 years later

The night the WWE went “Over the Edge.”



11 years ago, May 23, 1999, World Wrestling Entertainment held their monthly pay-per-view event in Kansas City, Missouri, called "Over the Edge." One of the matches during the event was for the Intercontinental Championship, featuring The Godfather (champion) facing The Blue Blazer (Owen Hart) for the title. As fans were watching a promo video for the match, Hart fell to the ring, which led to his tragic untimely death.

As Jim Ross was talking, Owen Hart was preparing to descend from the rafters on a cord. Hart never made the descent he had planned, as he tragically fell at full speed some 90 feet from the top of Kemper Arena, snapping his head against one of the turnbuckles and falling into the ring. I remember sitting in my seat in section 217 of the arena, watching the whole thing, and wondering to myself, “Is this real?” For those 3 of you that do not know, pro wrestling is scripted. After a few seconds or so, I saw Owen’s leg flinch and WWE announcer Jerry “The King” Lawler jump up from his announce position and run over to Owen. EMT’s rushed out. Right in the middle of the ring, in front of 15,000 people, there was an attempt going on to save the life of Owen Hart. Nobody at home saw the fall as TV cameras were not focused on Owen at the time of the fall, but there were people that night that did see that fall, me included.

After several minutes, Owen was rushed out of the arena on a stretcher and to a local hospital. Now, that stunt Owen was going to attempt was performed a number of times, without any serious problems. The decision to have Owen perform that entrance did not bother me. It is what happened after the fall did. Immediately, and I mean IMMEDIATELY, after Owen was removed from the arena, Jeff Jarrett, one of Owen Hart’s best friends, along with Debra (another one of Owen’s good friends), were forced to go on camera for an interview. Jarrett, visibily shaken, and Debra (crying) said something, but I could not remember what was said. In fact, I cannot even remember who Jarrett wrestled. The fact the show was going on at this point was mind boggling.

After that match, I looked at the video screen and Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler were talking. Nobody in the arena could hear them, as the audio was cut-off, but I had a hint of what they were saying. Owen Hart had died, and nobody in the arena was going to hear that. Vince McMahon had a show to do and he did not want every fan leaving the arena if they announced it. Back in 1999, I still did not own a cell phone and none of my friends had phones either. I can recall sitting in my seat for the rest of the show and not one person around me had even mentioned Owen’s death. But everyone outside the arena knew. Anyways, the show went on and Vince McMahon even made an appearance during the show (about 10 minutes before facing the media I may add). I got home and found out the news.

I do think Vince McMahon is a smart-business man, I mean, looking at the wrestling empire he has created. But he is not a good person, and his decision to keep that show going, after what happened was the first of his two giant blunders he has made the last eleven years (The Chris Benoit tribute show, before it was revealed Benoit murdered his family, was the over). McMahon’s horrible decision could be summed up in him suggesting that the show must go on, because Owen would have wanted it that way, or something like that. Oh really Vince, too bad you were not able to ask Owen that, because he died tragically two hours earlier. Now, of course I am upset because I saw the whole situation un-fold before my eyes and the truth was never told to me that night in the arena. But the biggest victims in all of this: Owen’s wife Martha and her two kids, who were left without a husband and what many other wrestler’s referred to as a great father.

I really do not know if this has ever been discussed, but I think next year it is time to give Owen his proper respect, and that is placing him in The WWE Hall of Fame.

If you want to read more about this or watch other videos, please visit the following links:

http://homepage.mac.com/knarley/owenhart/timeline/owentimeline.html











No comments: