Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New York.....New York.....

On Friday, August 15, I arrived in New York City uncertain if I would fulfill a goal of mine in seeing a game at Yankee Stadium. The forecast for rain and thunderstorms was 80% and the radar around New York City showed a line of storms to the west. With the first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. eastern, my dad and I headed up on the 4 train for the Bronx. We arrived shortly before 5:00 p.m. and decided to head into the park to see Monument Row. After several failed attempts to walk down to momument row, I headed to get a beer ($9.50 for a 24 oz) and head to my seat. As i sat down, someone next to me said, "you know, we are under a tornado warning." I figured the threat wasn't too great, as they were not evacuating the stadium, but nonetheless I kept an eye on the sky. Nothing happened and the rain was still pouring and the tarp covered the field at 7:00 p.m. Things looked bleak, but the rain stopped and baseball began at 8:30p.m. Finally, a game at Yankee stadium featuring my favorite team, the hapless Kansas City Royals. It was a very good game with both teams leaving a lot of runners on base. About the 7th inning we left our seats down the right field line in search of better seats. We eventually snuck down about 25 rows behind the third base dugout and sat in these padded seats, which probably retail for $200 or more.

With the score tied at 3 heading into the top of the 9th, "enter sandman" began to play, meaning only one thing, Mariano Rivera time. Now, Rivera has not been his best this year with the game tied, so I held out hope the Royals could scratch across a run; however, I was less than optimistic with the bottom of the Royals order coming up. To my shock, Esteban German doubled in the right field gap with 1 out and moved to third on an infield single by leadoff hitter Mitch Maier. Mike Aviles stepped to the plate with 1 out and on the very first pitch, Rivera threw a wild pitch (his 2nd in 6 years). The ball bounced behind the catcher, and German scored from 3rd. The bottom of the 9th was very dramatic. Jakim Soria, "the mexicutioner", came on and walked the leadoff batter but was able to somehow pick the runner off 1st. After getting the 2nd out of the inning, Soria gave up a single to Derek Jeter, a walk to Bobby Abreu, and a little dink infield hit to A-Rod. From my vantage point, Soria had plenty of time to throw out A-Rod, but probably didn't trust his fielding ability. With my heart pounding, Jason Giambi lined an 1-0 pitch to center, Mitch Maier made the catch, and the Royals celebrated a well earned 4-3 victory. After the game, my dad and I took the times square as we partied near the 4 a.m. bar closing times.

We spent Saturday in New York City, visiting Central Park, Times Square, and what may be my new favorite bar, McSorley's Pub, located near New York University. I recommend everyone go there to try out their light and dark beer. Sunday was the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, where I took a lot of good pictures, with some great artificats (see the links below). Monday, may have been the best/worst day of the trip. It started out with a visit to the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, where special connections got me to the floor (no public visits are allowed, just invited guests). After that, my dad and I headed to Times Square and then took a trip to visit the Hello Deli, located right near the Ed Sullivan Theater, home of Dave Letterman. I took a photo with Rupert G, the owner of the place, and then made a quick visit to Shea Stadium.

Then, about the worst thing happened. Some douchebag mechanic from United somehow incorrectly filled out the fuel tank of the plane incorrectly, thus ending that flight for the night. I tried so hard to get on standby with other flights to Chicago, but to no avail. Finally, at 8 p.m. I got on to one, but I missed my connecting flight. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled about spending the night in Chicago. United was nice enough to put me up in the Hyatt at O'Haire and I headed there. Now, I knew the WWE was in town at Rosemont for Monday Night Raw. I figured there was a slight chance they may stay at the Hyatt and when I arrived at 11p.m., several wrestlers and announcers were hanging at the bar. I got some very good photos including John Cena and Harley Race and got to briefly see Vince McMahon. It was a nice consolation prize to end a horrible day.

So, what happens the next morning? Delayed again!!! This time there's a pressure problem with the plane. I was able to get on a plane with American (at United's expense) and get back to Kansas City, to drive three hours back to Omaha. What a mess. No wonder United is always bankrupt. They are always delayed, and always having to comp people. What a terrible airline. I am never flying them again. Overall, it was a very great trip and I want to get back to NYC soon (just not on United)

Check out the links to the photos

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056226&l=566ef&id=32503236

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056227&l=d2ea6&id=32503236

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056229&l=46fbc&id=32503236

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056231&l=ec9b7&id=32503236

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056232&l=bd959&id=32503236

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056233&l=0b2bb&id=32503236

Wow I smile terribly in that last one

No comments: